Ayurveda is a natural system of medicine, practiced worldwide by Yogis. It originated in India thousands of years ago The term Ayurveda literally means knowledge of life and is derived from the Sanskrit words ayur (life) and Veda (science or knowledge).
Here are five simple ayurvedic remedies to include in your nutrition routine for optimum health and vitality.
1. Ashwagandha is a shrub that grows in Asia and Africa. You can purchase this in any health store in a tablet form for a reasonable price. Studies have shown that the root extract improves an individual's resistance to stress and thereby the conditions derived from stress, such as insomnia, aging, and anxiety - thus can safely improve quality of life.
2. Turmeric is a powerful antioxidant. It's found in every supermarket and is very cheap and accessible. However, it is the compound curcumin which is found in turmeric that has medicinal properties. Absorption of turmeric in the body is low so adding black pepper increases absorption by up to 2000%.
3. Cumin can also be found on most supermarket shelves as it is a staple for many recipes. It has been shown, in some studies to promote weight loss. It is a natural source of iron and helps to fight inflammation.
4. Cardamom is a spice that originated in India but is available worldwide. It contains antioxidant and Diuretic Properties (removes access water from around the body). Cardamon has also been used for thousands of years to help with digestion and is an ancient remedy to treat bad breath.
5. Shilajit is a potent and safe dietary supplement in the Himalayas. It has been shown to restore the energetic balance and potentially able prevent several diseases. It has been applied for the control of cognitive disorders associated with aging, and cognitive stimulation. Health benefits such as an increase in longevity, and rejuvenation are associated with shilajit.